For more than a quarter century, TBC Bank has transformed itself, starting out as a vision of its founders and with US$500 in capital to become Georgia’s leading universal banking group with a strong track record of growth and profitability. Today, it is recognised for its superior customer experience, best-in-class multichannel capabilities with a focus on digital channels, and strong brand.
In June 2014, TBC Bank listed global depositary receipts (GDRs) of the Bank on the main market of the London Stock Exchange (LSE), which was then the largest international off-index initial public offering (IPO) from the EMEA region.
In 2016, TBC Bank moved to the LSE’s premium segment, expanding the investor base and boosting share liquidity significantly. Initially serving corporate customers, TBC Bank launched its retail business line in 2006 and is the clear market leader in individual deposits and loans to individuals today. In 2011, we acquired 80% of Bank Constanta, completing the merger in 2015, making us the dominant name in microfinance.
In 2016, we acquired Bank Republic, a large and profitable Georgian bank, which made us the undisputed market leader by most key metrics. Entering 2017, we believe that we have fulfilled the main pledges made during the IPO: to secure market leadership in key segments and enhance our multichannel platform.
In 2018-2019, our digital transformation reached new level, as we launched “Space” the first digital only bank in the region and the first customer focused digital ecosystems, creating a whole new world of opportunities for our customers.
In 2020, JSCB TBC Bank has launched its banking operations in Uzbekistan, pursuant to our strategic priority of international expansion. In line with our asset-light and highly digitalized strategy, we will be serving our customers mainly through our online platform, Space, while our smart, next generation branches will be used primarily for client relationship purposes.
In 2022, we established TNET - the largest technology company in Georgia, operating in 4 verticals: E-commerce, lifestyle, housing and auto. Leveraging its huge data hub capabilities, TNET aims to create a complete customer profile to reduce time and distance between the product and the customer through personalized offers.
- Acquisition of the remaining 49% stake in Payme.
- Established TNET - the largest technology company in Georgia.
- Launched banking operations in Uzbekistan.
- TBC Bank Group PLC became a member of the FTSE4Good Index Series following the FTSE4Good Index Series Semi Annual Review in June 2020.
- From December 1, 2020, TBC Bank Group PLC shares were added to the MSCI United Kingdom Small Cap Index.
- Launched customer focused digital ecosystems.
- TBC Bank Group acquired a 51% stake in LLC Inspired, a leading payment platform in Uzbekistan trading under the Payme brand.
- Issued $300 million Senior Unsecured Notes and $125 million Additional Tier 1 Capital Perpetual Subordinated Notes.
- TBC Bank has launched a fully digital bank "Space".
- TBC Bank has successfully completed the merger with Bank Republic on May 8, well ahead of the schedule.
- TBC Bank Group plc shares is included as a constituent in the FTSE250 Index from 19 June.
- TBC Bank moves to the LSE’s premium segment via listing the shares of TBC PLC and acquires 100% of Bank Republic, making it Georgia’s number one banking group according to most key metrics. TBC Bank also acquires 100% of Kopenbur, an insurance company that specialises in retail products, to boost its consumer offering.
- The merger with Bank Constanta is completed, giving TBC Bank clear leadership in the rapidly growing microfinance segment.
- TBC Bank successfully conducts an IPO, listing GDRs of the Bank on the main market of the LSE.
- TBC Bank ownership reached 100% of Bank Constanta.
- TBC Bank launches the SME Business Support Programme, with support from the IFC and ADB.
- TBC Bank was the first Georgian bank to file an ICAAP report according to Pillar II or Basel III requirements.
- The Bank’s corporate governance was further enhanced through the addition of three key committees at the Supervisory Board level: (1) Risks, Ethics, and Compliance Committee, (2) Remuneration Committee, and (3) the Corporate Governance and Nomination Committee.
- TBC Bank celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- New and award-winning multichannel distribution systems are unveiled.
- TBC Bank acquires 80% of Bank Constanta, a specialist in microfinance, and establishes a representative office in Israel, TBC Invest, to act as an intermediary with potential future clients.
- TBC Bank launched its customer loyalty program SmartClub – the first of its kind on the local market.
- The shareholder base expands, as the EBRD, FMO, JP Morgan and Ashmore acquire stakes in TBC Bank and the IFC and DEG contribute additional capital.
- TBC Bank sold its shares in the Georgian Pension and Insurance Holding (GPI Holding).
- TBC Bank acquires 75% of TBC Kredit, a non-banking credit institution in Azerbaijan.
- On 13 August, TBC Bank established a charitable organization “TBC Foundation” with an initial donation of GEL 5 million in order to support victims of the 2008 armed conflict. This was the largest social investment by a Georgian company to date.
- Total assets exceed US$1 billion.
- In cooperation with the international consulting company SENTEO, TBC Bank introduced a new branch design to the local market, developed in line with international standards.
- TBC Bank develops a retail banking offering, and the EBRD acquires a 10% stake in TBC Leasing.
- TBC Bank and the International Finance Corporation (IFC) reached an agreement on the Implementation of the Technical Assistance Project, aimed at strengthening TBC Bank’s position in the retail segment.
- EBRD purchased 10% of shares in TBC Leasing and provided a USD 3 million loan to the Company. This was EBRD’s first investment in the Georgian leasing sector.
- On February 26, TBC Bank opened its new Tbilisi Head Office in a unique historical building constructed at the beginning of the 20th century. New Head Office is listed among the city’s architectural monuments.
- TBC Bank enters the non-banking segment, establishing TBC Leasing.
- TBC Bank opened its 6th regional branch in Batumi, Adjara.
- TBC Bank and IFC signed an agreement on risk insurance worth EUR 2 million.
- EBRD provided a USD 6 million line of credit to TBC Bank, which was the organization’s first investment in the Georgian commercial sector since the “Rose Revolution” in 2003.
- TBC Bank became the largest Georgian bank by the end of the first quarter in terms of total assets, liabilities and the size of its credit portfolio.
- TBC Bank sold its shares in the Microfinance Bank of Georgia, currently ProCredit Bank. TBC Bank was one of the co-founders of the Microfinance Bank of Georgia.
- TBC Bank launches its first internet banking services.
- TBC Bank co-founded Georgian Pension and Insurance Holding (GPI Holding), the first Georgian insurance company offering pension insurance services.
- International financial institutions IFC and DEG become shareholders in TBC Bank, which also becomes the first Georgian company to obtain an international credit rating.
- The Thompson Financial Bankwatch issued a rating for TBC Bank, making it the first Georgian company to obtain an international rating.
- EBRD increased its investment in the TBC Bank’s Letter of Credit Support Project by USD 2 million and became a guarantor of the Bank for first class banks.
- TBC Bank co-founded Microfinance Bank of Georgia, currently ProCredit Bank.
- Mr Vakhtang Butskhrikidze was appointed CEO of TBC Bank.
- IFC provided a USD 3 million line of credit to TBC Bank for the financing of small and medium-sized enterprises.
- The World Bank provided a USD 1 million line of credit to TBC Bank.
- In June, Coopers and Lybrand conducted the first international audit of the Bank.
- TBC Bank was named “The Best Georgian Company 1995”, while Mr. Mamuka Khazaradze, the founder of TBC Bank, was named “The Best Georgian Businessman 1995” at the Georgian Business Rating Ceremony, organized by the Georgian Times newspaper and the marketing research company GORBI.
- TBC Bank was granted a license to conduct international transactions.
- TBC Bank is established with founding capital of just US$500 and focuses on the corporate segment.